This 2nd edition is the ideal resource for paramedics and student paramedics looking for a quick reference guide to help develop or refresh their assessment skills with up to date knowledge. This handy pocket sized book can be used by students for exam revision, by paramedics and emergency care staff en route to a call, or clinicians who are working in other clinical environments, such as urgent care centres to revisit key points and further refine their skills.
Divided into body systems, the book takes the reader through the considerations and actions required for each type of emergency presentation. The book also:
• Takes an approach that mirrors current UK and international practice
• Features a cardiovascular chapter which includes sepsis, red flag sepsis and The UK Sepsis Trust Pre-hospital Sepsis Screening and Action Tool
• Uses red flags to highlight where immediate action may be needed and identifies appropriate actions to be taken
• Has been updated where applicable against the current Ambulance Clinical Guidelines, and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Guidelines
• Considers the social, ethical and legal factors that might impact on care
• Includes specific chapters in the specialist fields of paediatric assessment and neonatal assessment and care
• Has been updated for this 2nd edition with new chapters on the assessment of minor injuries and minor ailments
• Features extra web links for further reading at the end of chapters and a new book glossary
• Uses mnemonics, cases and diagrams to demonstrate and reinforce key points, with many new diagrams for this edition
Written by experienced paramedics, specialist health care professionals and doctors, this book will enhance knowledge and encourage accurate, timely and thorough assessment of patients across the lifespan.