Foundations of Professional Personal Training, Second Edition With Web Resource, serves as a road map toward becoming a successful certified personal trainer. Developed and written by canfitpro, Canada’s foremost education and certification provider for fitness professionals, this full-color edition of Foundations of Professional Personal Training contains information for building skills, increasing confidence, and preparing for the Personal Training Specialist (PTS) certification with canfitpro.
Reorganized, redesigned, and extensively updated to match the canfitpro certification standards, this second edition includes colorful new artwork and all of the information needed for preparing for the PTS certification process. The second edition includes the following elements:
• A new web resource with online video to demonstrate exercise and assessment techniques
• New chapters on foundational movement sequences and dynamic assessments
• Color-coded “traffic light” elements that highlight key information for practical application by indicating when to exercise caution (red), think critically (yellow), or put a concept into practice (green)
• Three client case studies that are developed throughout the book for practice and application of concepts
• Details about canfitpro’s recommendations for optimal health, which integrates physical activity, nutrition, and mental well-being
• Strategies for cultivating the personal trainer–client relationship
• New information regarding exercise and back pain, myofascial slings and their relationship to flexibility, functional movement patterns, and postural assessment
The book is divided into four easy-to-manage parts. Part I presents an overview of the fundamentals of personal training and the personal trainer–client relationship as well as recommendations for and components of optimal health. Part II explains the essentials of the human body, including chapters on bioenergetics, the cardiorespiratory system, skeletal and muscular anatomy, flexibility and mobility, and foundational movement. Part III provides thorough guidance on both passive and dynamic assessment of clients. Part IV offers direction on program design and delivery based on client assessment as well as strategies for recognition and prevention of injury. To aid learning and prepare readers for the certification exam, each chapter includes objectives, a summary, a list of key study terms, and review questions. Readers will also benefit from a glossary, illustrated appendixes organized by muscle group and filled with information on technique for a range of resistance and flexibility exercises, and an appendix of norms for fitness assessments.
Additionally, a new web resource for Foundations of Professional Personal Training, Second Edition, provides readers with further practice opportunities before the PTS exam, featuring video clips, printable forms, and other supplemental materials. Thirty-six video clips demonstrate proper technique of various exercises as well as dynamic assessment techniques for identifying improper movement patterns or imbalance. The reproducible forms can be printed and used in assessing clients and documenting training sessions. The web resource includes answers to the in-text review questions found throughout the book, which will aid in comprehension and retention.
Foundations of Professional Personal Training, Second Edition, prepares new and prospective personal trainers for all aspects of their exciting profession. Providing key concepts, guidelines, and considerations, this text is an essential resource for preparation for the PTS exam and for a successful career in personal training.