1. Why do yeasts perform alcohol fermentation?
2. What is the chemical reaction for fermentation?
3. Which are the reactants in this reaction? Which are the products?
4. What is the gas that accumulates in the bag, causing it to inflate? In addition to this gas,
what is another product of this process? Can you think of one example when either of these
products is useful during cooking/baking?
5. How does inflation of the bag correlate with the amount of carbon dioxide produced? (If
the bag is very inflated, what does that tell you about the amount of carbon dioxide
produced? What if it is remains very deflated?)
6. How does the amount of carbon dioxide correlate with the rate of sugar consumed by yeast?
7. Is alcohol fermentation an efficient process to produce ATP? How many ATP molecules are
produced per glucose molecule by aerobic respiration in eukaryotic cells (yeasts)? How
many ATP molecules are produced per glucose molecule by alcohol fermentation?