You are an educator in the Kindergarten room of a large long day care service. Siblings Thomas (5yrs) and Lee (3yrs) are new to the service and are both in the Kindergarten room. They attend 5 days a week and arrive around 8.15am each day and leave at approximately 5.30pm. It has taken time to settle them in to care over the past 2 weeks as they have never been away from their family before, the family has a Vietnamese cultural back ground
On enrolment you discover that they are lactose intolerant and drink coconut milk. When talking to the children they tell you their favourite foods are noodles, chicken and fruit (especially apple and pears).
Each day the children arrive with their mum and are often eating a packet of Tiny Teddy biscuits as they enter the room. Mum had said she hasn’t got time to make the children breakfast in the morning as the children take so long to wake up, so this is their breakfast. She adds that the biscuits are the only way to stop Lee from crying when coming to the service.
The mother has asked about the meals at the services as the children often seem hungry when they get home.
She asks if she can give the cook her recipe for noodles and chicken so her children will eat and not be hungry.
Part 1 - Respond in detail to each of the questions below: Questions are modified
1. How would you ensure the children’s individual likes and dislikes have been met in relation to food?
2. How would you find out what ingredients are in the foods that they like to eat?
3. What or how could you provide the family with information about healthy food choices?
(Ensure you address your concerns about biscuits & coconut milk for breakfast)
4. What are the dietary implications for Thomas and Lee if they continued to maintain a diet of tiny teddy biscuits, coconut milk and fruit for an extended period of time? consider developmental milestones/brain development
5. How would you support the children to have food and drink that follows the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating?
6. List the articles number/s and describe what is said in the in the Code of Ethics that relate specifically to food and water for children.